Saturday, December 6, 2008

Trees

Since I was kid, there is no subject that I enjoy most back in high school and elementary other than Literature and Creative Writing. Though I must admit, I'm not really that gifted in the art compared to my writer friends. Nonetheless, writing has helped me express myself and say those things that I can't say in verbally. It has become my outlet to voice out what I truly feel. People who know me well know that I can write my best compositions during those moments when I am very happy or very sad. And one of the pieces of literature that "inspired" me to hone this love for writing is Joyce Kilmer's poem, Trees. I remember learning this poem back in elementary (I just can't remember which grade level). The poem was simple enough to be understood and memorized by a grade school kid like me, but it's meaning is something even adults should learn and internalize - "Poems are made by fools like me.. but only God can make a tree" - Man can create the most fluent verses and the most advanced machines, but only one God has the power to create and give the greates miracle of all - Life.

For this layout, I chose some of the pictures we took while driving along the man-made Mahogany forest in Bohol. The Mahogany trees are so tall and planted so near each other that the higher branches reach out to each other, forming a canopy which provides a shade against the scorching sun to those travelling on the road. According to our tour guide, Ms. Flor, the Mahogany trees here were planted to prevent the floods from reaching the lower areas. Thus, these trees are very much protected and taken care of. How I wish all trees in Philippines are treated this way. =D

Journalling:
Trees
by Joyce Kilmer
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts its leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives in rain;
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Credits for this layout: Harvest Spice Kit at shabbyprincess.com; Teen Collection and Family History Collection at scrapbookflair.com; Endless Ephemera Collection at raspberryroaddesigns.blogspot.com; Autumn Gold Kit at bohemianart.blogspot.com; Frisson Kit at petitmoineaux.blogspot.com; Cherry Mokka Kit at digiscrapbooking.ch.

2 comments:

gwacie said...

love that poem too sis! my dad taught it to me even before we took it up in school. those are great pix and so appropriate for the poem - i was laughing, though, at the one where you're pointing different directions.

G said...

Nice subject and LO sis, this is one of my favorites--trees (among others from ecosystem)..and the poem as well!

Good day sis!